Friday, August 20, 2010

Making Your Own Chain

So yesterday I was hanging out at the mall.  Those of you who know me will know how unusual this actually is.  I was in a store and I was admiring their wire worked jewelry (especially the chain they had used) when I realized that it looked like the chain was just wire as well.  I looked closely and decided I would go home and try it.

Turns out, all you need to make a pretty cool chain is some wire, some sort of wire cutters, and rounded nose pliers.  You make a couple of loops, and then make a "U" shape.  Your first piece should look something like this:



I made the links as I went along.  You make the chain by hooking the pieces together by sliding the "U" shaped link part through the double circle loop of another link, and then close the link by squeezing the "U" shaped tail into the double circle.  Make sense?

Here's a picture of some of the completed chain.  Not bad, eh, for a first try?  It was pretty easy.  I think that a beginning skill level could do it, although it would probably take more time.


And the finished piece!




Stay tuned for more adventures.  I'm going to be trying some more new things, including glass bead making, and Art Clay (which is the coolest thing that I never knew existed!).

No comments:

Post a Comment