Saturday, September 11, 2010

Lampwork Glass Pendant

After watching a brief video on Youtube*, I was inspired to try making a glass pendant.  The main problem I saw was that the person in the video was using a glass rod that was much thicker in diameter than mine (but I figured I could try it anyway).  It turns out having a thicker rod would have been very useful, but I won't bore you trying to explain it.  The loop itself was also difficult and is a skill I'd like to practice more.

My first glass pendant . . .
. . . and its fate.
It wasn't broken when I finished it, but it was cracked.  The problem is that if you shock the glass by heating it too quickly or cooling it too quickly, you get cracks.  Apparently larger pieces are easier to shock than smaller pieces.

My First Turtle Attempt
This was supposed to be another pendant attempt, but it started looking so much like a turtle.  I figured I had better try to make it into a turtle.  The irony is that if I had finished it as a pendant, it would have survived.

The poor turtle was killed as I tried to give him limbs
Devastated by the death of my pendants, I decided to make some beads to make myself feel better.

Orange center with a clear outer layer
Translucent green with blue dots
Translucent aqua with dark blue stripes
I tried to make a bead like the Pandora ones I have seen

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY65HHoJDl8

No comments:

Post a Comment